On Thompson Peak, accessed via Tower Acess Road, 13 miles southwest of Susanville, Plumas County, CA. The site is located within the boundaries of the Plumas National Forest, and the tower access road is accessed via the Janesville Grade road to the Thompson Peak Lookout Station.
The Air Force acquired the 37.42 fee acre site from the Forest Service on July 1958. They constructed and operated the unmanned radar gap filler until March 1969, when the property was conveyed back to the Forest Service. Construction included the L-shaped concrete building, 70-foot steel radar tower, woven wire fence, and gravel access road.
At the time of the 1992 report, a survey team noted the L-shaped concrete block building, two concrete footings, and an observation tower. The generator and electronic components had been removed in 1970. The equipment room in the western portion of the building had painted walls, acoustic tile ceiling, and linoleum floor. Ceiling tiles were broken and missing, and paint was peeling off the walls and several pieces of linoleum were missing. The generator room in the eastern portion of the building was unfinished.
The observation tower listed above is the Thompson Peak Lookout Station, which is currently used by the Forest Service.
The old radar site is currently used as an extra parking area for the Thompson Peak Lookout Station, which is located close by.
An site vicinity location map and plot plan are available by clicking the link above.