Fire Island Air Force Station is located 2 miles west of the International Airport in Anchorage, in Cook Inlet. All but the northwest corner of the island was reserved. The site was used from 1950 to 1969 for an aircraft control and warning station. Improvements constructed by the Air Force included 33 buildings and structures utilized for operations, administration, maintenance, communications, a multi-purpose dormitory, radome towers, utilities, and an airstrip.
Tract A (3,980 acres) was withdrawn from public domain by PLO 693, 26Apr50, amended by PLO 3920, 20Jan66. Tract B (40 acres) at the extreme southwest tip, from the U.S. Coast Guard by Use Permit, 16Sep50. This station served as the regional operations center (ROC) for the South Region of Alaska, while a ROC for the northern area was built at Murphy Dome near Fairbanks. The Fire Island ROC was declared excess 28Jul69, and the site environmentally restored by the Air Force in 1986.
Site considered "clean" after Air Force restoration in 1986 (see report U.S. Air Force, 11th CEOS, Environmental Restoration, Fire Island). No site visit conducted. NOFA sent to NPD 7Dec93, approved by CENPD-PM-MP 11Jan94.