Information for McChord AFB, WA

Latitude: 47-07-27 N, Longitude: 122-29-32 W

Call Sign(s): Mercury


Perm ID Sage ID JSS ID Unit Location Early
Equip.
Final
Equip.
Oper.
Date
Inact.
Date
Notes
P-1     635 McChord AFB, WA CPS-6B (2); FPS-6   1951 01-Apr-60 Squadron relocated to Fort Lawton Army Base (RP-1), Seattle, WA, in 1960, where it operated until 1963. The 635th was later reactivated at Dauphin Island AFS, AL (1972).
P-1A       Wiley City, WA **         ** Gap-Filler Annex. In original ADC plans, but never was built.
P-1B       Greenwater, WA **         ** Gap-Filler Annex. In original ADC plans, but never was built.
P-1C / RP-1C       Chehalis, WA         Gap-Filler Annex. Located on Crego Hill, southwest of Chehalis; operational status is uncertain. Building and radar tower are still extant.

Current Use: The LRR Operations building is still extant, has been extensively remodeled, and currently in use. Base museum now occupies the squadron's WW II vintage barracks and mess area.

NOTICE:
Some photos and documents may be marked with varying degrees of classification, up to SECRET. Data so marked is the way it was delivered from official USAF sources, and have been completely declassified. To the best of our knowledge, no currently classified data is stored on this site.
The following site information is available: