Air Defense Radar Stations


Information for Highlands AFS, NJ

Latitude: 40-23-29.5 N, Longitude: 073-59-38.5 W

Call Sign(s): Jitney; Dora


Perm ID Sage ID JSS ID Unit Location Early
Equip.
Final
Equip.
Oper.
Date
Inact.
Date
Notes
P-9 Z-9   646 Highlands AFS, NJ CPS-6b(2); FPS-8/GPS-3; [FPS-6A (2) Army]; FPS-7; FPS-6, -90 FPS-7C; FPS-90; FPS-26A; [Army: FPS-69, after USAF left] 1948 01-Jul-66 Site had the first AN/FPS-7 search. TT-4 was an Annex. Site shared with Army for Nike Missile air-defense system (NY-55DC); Army had its own FPS-6A height-finder radars. Site then turned over to Army in 1966; USAF unit became Det. 1, 772nd RADS (used the old FPS-26 for experiments). Army reportedly replaced the AN/FPS-7C search radar with an AN/FPS-69 ABAR radar. Site closed altogether in 1974.
P-9A Z-9A     Gibbsboro, NJ FPS-14   Mar-57 Dec-60 Gap-Filler Annex. In 1957, Gibbsboro became the first location in the nation of a gap-filler radar. Later collocated with Army Nike long-range radar site; then became USAF LRR site RP-63 / Z-63. Now is JSS site J-51.

Current Use: No longer extant. Site is now part of Hartshorne Woods Park, being restored to its natural state.

NOTICE:
Some photos and documents may be marked with varying degrees of classification, up to SECRET. Data so marked is the way it was delivered from official USAF sources, and have been completely declassified. To the best of our knowledge, no currently classified data is stored on this site.
The following site information is available: